Monday, November 16, 2009

Reinventing Breakfast (A Brunch Dish)


So to begin my story I have to take you on a brief walk to the past, a particular day at work. On this day, we served what is a common occurrence in the restaurant, a wines luncheon. At this wines lunch, there was a manzanilla sherry served with one of the courses. Now it is also fairly common that at the culinary, the students tend to recoil in horror at the taste of dry sherry (actually most sherry in general). I, however, either loving the unusual, or being of a sophisticated palette (I can dream, right?) fell in love at first taste. The sherry that I tasted that day was La Gitana by Bodegas Hidalgo. La Gitana has a slightly briny, mineral flavor to it, and is very refreshing when very cold. Once I tasted the sherry, I was immediately overwhelmed with the idea for a dish that it would pair well with.

At home, I started to work on the dish I had in mind. It was the kind of dish you would have at a leisurely Sunday brunch.

The dish consists of a whipped potato "cake" that is filled with shallots, onions, and bell peppers that are sauteed in butter and some of the sherry. It is then coated in panko and fried, topped with an over-easy egg, and served with maple bacon and honey-balsamic oven roasted tomatoes. Very filling, and delicious.

If you haven't really tried sherry before, then I would say this is a pretty good bottle to start with.

P.S. I found this very interesting article about La Gitana. Seems they felt the same way about it as I did.


La Gitana Sherry by Bodegas Hidalgo


Potato Cake, over easy egg, maple bacon, thyme honey-balsamic tomatoes


The potato cake base



No comments:

Post a Comment