Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Halibut Escapades

Every few weeks my friends and I try to have a nice dinner. The reasons for this are two, so I can feel like I am not just a "college" student living in a residence hall; and two, to keep up my culinary skills.

Today we went to Adam's Market in Arlington, which specializes in local produce. 1.5lbs of beautiful Halibut later, my friend Jeong Woo and I set out to create a 3 course meal with delicious wine pairings.

After seeking out all the ingredients we needed, Jeong and I returned to the CIA and picked some of our Rhubarb and strawberries that were growing behind Rosenthal hall. In the kitchen, Jeong started cooking potatoes in buerre nosiette, while I peeled, small diced and simmered a reduction of 10yr tawney port, sugar, and the rhubarb. As it was cooking down, I pureed watercress and Jeong sauteed the halibut. Jeong also created a cool soba dish with hot bean paste and mixed greens.

Eventually with food in hand, we sat down to eat and opened a delicious bottle of Sophia Blanc de Blanc (100% chardonnay, mmm). It was very crips, with smack you in the face notes of peaches and apricots. With this wine we had our soba salad, which was delicious, probably the best cold noodle salad I have ever had.

After the soba, Jeong plated the fish, and I mixed the salad and vinaigrette up for the garnish. I then opened a much anticipated Grand Cru white burgundy...which ended up being corked! What a dissapointment...but the halibut was so good it didn't matter.

After we had the rhubarb compote topped with vanilla ice cream, strawberry puree and fresh strawberries from the CIA garden. It was super sweet, and the port really made the rhubarb amazing.

It was a good meal, and the start of a great weekend. We have it so tough here at the culinary ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment